PhD Position – Deadline May 17th 2021
Tigera, Munster Technological University (MTU) and the Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Centre for Research Training in Advanced Networks and Sustainable Societies (ADVANCE) form a partnership to fund a PhD position in the area of cybersecurity and artificial intelligence.
- Are you a graduate in computer science or cognate discipline looking to pursue a PhD?
- Do you want to make a real contribution in the area cybersecurity, observability, and artificial intelligence?
- Do you want to work in partnership with Tigera, inventor and maintainer of open source Calico?
- Do you want to work on a project that has real world applicability and impact?
Huge shortages in graduates with the necessary skills for the digital-age economy, has led to a big push from industry worldwide to attract more students to pursue a PhD. Tigera, in partnership with Munster Technological University (MTU) and SFI CRT ADVANCE are looking to recruit a PhD student that will be based in Cork, Ireland to work on an industry relevant PhD project. The student will be primarily based in the host academic institution, Munster Technological University, but will spend a significant amount of time working in tandem with the industry partner in their Cork based location. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with an industry partner, getting real world industry experience and a PhD at the same time. The topic of the PhD project will involve developing machine learning algorithms to identify, evaluate and detect security and performance issues in large scale distributed systems.
More information on the partners involved in the project are outlined below:
- Tigera, is the industry leader in Kubernetes security and observability, and is also the inventor and maintainer of open source Calico. Their newest offering, Calico Cloud, is a next-generation, Kubernetes-native cloud service that extends the declarative nature of Kubernetes to specify “security and observability as code,” which ensures consistent enforcement of security policies and compliance, and provides observability and troubleshooting across multi-cluster, multi-cloud and hybrid deployments. Tigera’s solution is used by some of the world’s leading companies, including HanseMerkur, Merck, Finicity, Mindbody, RealPage, L3Harris, Discover, AT&T, and ServiceNow.
- Munster Technological University and the Nimbus Research Centre – is one of Irelands research centre focused on Cyber-Physical Systems and IoT. MTU hosts a private cloud infrastructure and CYBER-RANGE supporting a range of attack scenarios for skills, training and research and a state-of-the-art GPU infrastructure optimized for DL/ML workloads, accessible through a simple Web interface for end users reducing the complexity. MTU is the host institution of Cyber Ireland a national cyber security cluster in Ireland funded by IDA Ireland (Ireland’s inward investment promotion agency). MTU is also the lead partner in Higher Education Authority, Human Capital Initiative funded project called Cyber Skills, which aims to address the critical skills shortage of cyber security professionals in Ireland.
- Centre for Research Training in Advanced Networks and Sustainable Societies (ADVANCE) – is a Science Foundation Ireland Centre for Research Training focused on Future Networks and the Internet of Things with applications in sustainable and independent living. ADVANCE will train 120 PhD students, recruited in four annual cohorts of 30 students across the five partner universities, beginning with the academic year 2019/20. More information on the ADVANCE CRT is available https://www.advance-crt.ie/.
The supervisory team for the doctoral student will include academic mentor’s Dr Donna O’Shea and Dr Sean McSweeney and Dr Ted Scully and will also include a Tigera industry mentor. Dr Donna O’Shea, Chair of Cybersecurity at MTU, indicated that the “Tigera PhD scholarship will provide a doctoral student with a high level of technical training where s/he will have a critical role in shaping solutions and software that will underpin the technology and that will influence our society for decades to come.”
For further information, please contact Donna O’Shea at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please send a CV, Motivational Letter, Proof of Degree and Transcript of Results, and English Language certification (if required) to Dr. Donna O’Shea at email@example.com with a subject line header of “Tigera Advance CRT position”.