A core feature of the SFI CRT Programme is that each ADVANCE student will have the opportunity to go on an extended work placement with an external organisation – industry, NGO, or academic research, nationally or internationally. This allows the student to gain relevant experience, apply their training in a work context, enhance their teamworking skills, and build their network of contacts. Work placement also allows the external organisation to access a student as a potential future employee and provide feedback on the appropriateness of their skillset. The key differentiator of the CRT postgraduate training programme is that training is not just student-focused, but also student-guided. This is evident in the Training Placement component of the programme where students have the opportunity to get experiential learning in work environments which will help them explore and enhance their career opportunities.
These stages are for general guidance only and can be adjusted to specific student and placement circumstances.
Pre-placement – Months 25-30 of the cohort
- Month 1: Placement training and information session
- Month 2-3: Placement organisation
- Month 4-5: Placement selection
During Placement – Months 30-36 of the cohort (from 3 to 6 months in duration)
- Tri-partite agreement
- Partner induction
- Placement project
- Workplace Learning Journal
- Communication schedule with supervisory team
Post Placement – 1 month after completion of placement
- Complete assessment forms
- Complete Workplace Learning Journal
- Submit all assessment forms
- Provide feedback on placement
- Assessment completed by the HEI for award of ECTS credits or ADVANCE Work Placement Badge if local HEI credits not possible.